About the Windhoek Vocational Training Centre (WVTC)
The Windhoek Vocational Training Centre (WVTC), is located in Windhoek the capital city of Namibia. The WVTC is a flagship institution in the vocational education and training system. Its facilities, equipment, competent staff and social ambience give a potential trainee the necessary conditions for success in career development.
The centre is committed to vocational training, which will equip Namibia with an adequately skilled labour force that will in turn strengthen socio-economic development and self-employment. Since the inception of the centre there has been a steady growth in the number of course recipients as well as in the number of graduates entering the labour market.
As an autonomous training institution within the vocational education and training system, the purpose of the WVTC as defined by its charter is:
- To offer employable skills to school leavers up to artisan level.
- To participate in the implementation of the Vocational Training System through support of the Trade Testing System, the preparation of trade testing and training materials.
- To promote self-employment and certification of skills of the labour force through the provision of skills upgrading programmes. Skills upgrading programmes are aimed at facilitating the certification of skills for workers with experience, but uncertified skills.
- To promote relations between the training centre and employers through programmes of placing trainees in industries to gain experience. Through this co-operation, the Centre also gains insight into the expectations of employers, which will enable it to meet their needs.
- To co-operate with other training centres locally and internationally in order to exchange ideas on improving training standards and developing skills.
It remains the priority of the WVTC to foster a healthy relationship between all those who are interested in developing the country through vocational education and training.
Support of Small and Medium Enterprises development (SME’s) in Namibia is important for the centre. The centre shall co-operate with institutions involved in this field. The Windhoek Vocational Training Centre is geared to make its contribution in this regard. The opportunities provided by the centre are available to Namibian youth.
This home page will provide you with information on training courses available, facilities provided and entry requirements of training programmes at the WVTC as well as the rental of its facilities.
WVTC General Information
The WVTC offers: A “home away from home” by providing a well conceived living and working environment.
A safe working environment
Safety is a primary consideration at the WVTC. Trainees are provided with proper clothing and protective devices to reduce the possibility of injury during practical instructions. All WVTC trainees are insured.
The WVTC has limited accommodation for trainees who come to the centre from outside Windhoek. These are clean, furnished and well-lighted hostel “homes”.
The WVTC boasts a fully equipped, modern kitchen which provides meals for both trainees and staff.
The WVTC recognises the need for people to have meaningful activities in their free time. Recreational facilities are provided which include table tennis, darts, a library and a TV room equipped with a VCR and Dstv facilities. The centre also sponsors sports in which trainees are invited to participate.
Prospective candidates are advised to apply by October/November each year. Candidates should submit a written application, which should include the following documents:
- Proof of Namibian citizenship
- Minimum qualifications (pass grade 10) with maths, science and English.
- Minimum age 16 years
- Reference letter from the Principal of last school attended
Short listed candidates are normally required to sit for a psychometric (aptitude) test and interview, which is administered during the second week of January. Training usually commences during the second week of February.