Alte Kalkoefen Lodge Job Vacancies in Namibia
The story behind Alte Kalköfen
Alte Kalköfen Lodge was envisaged and constructed to firstly conserve fauna and flaura in their natural habitat and secondly, to bring the experience of nature to mankind whilst maintaining the ecosystem of the area.
Ecological Practices are implemented in managing the fragile environment with every effort being made to keep nature & man in harmony.
The Lodge is situated on the farms Sandverhaar and Simplon in the Karas Region, Namibia.
We still have the old purchase contract signed by my father in 1989 for the land – Frik
Alte Kalköfen Lodge itself is set in a beautiful natural Namibian desert garden where vast open spaces combine effortlessly with the rocky dessert.
The lodge is restored from an old farmhouse. It’s perfectly manicured, yet with rustic charm around every corner waiting to be discovered. Our “Sundowner Ecke” and our “Reading Corner” bring smiles to our guests faces and the bi-weekly passing train is a pleasant reminder of the old historic trade routes.
The Accommodation at Alte Kalköfen overlooks the Gurib river bed and the endless desert beyond.
- 8 x Twin rooms with en-suite bathrooms and outdoor cold-water shower.
- 1 x Family room. Two twin rooms, interlinked. One room has an shower and the other room a bath. Both rooms also have outside cold-water showers.
- Self-catering units:
- 1 x Twin en-suite room with indoor bathroom & shower plus an outdoor cold-water shower, sitting room, kitchen and braai facilities.
- 1 x 2 Room unit with 2 beds in each room, bathroom with shower and bath, sitting room, kitchen and braai facilities.
Luxurious beds and imaginative decor await you with en-suite bathrooms and both indoor and outdoor showers. Witness spectacular views over the desert river bed from the comfort of your very own terrace.
At dusk, keep an eye on the floodlit waterhole which attracts oryx and springbuck as they refresh themselves from the Namibian dust.
Alte Kalköfen sleeps 24 guests in total and is perfect for weddings and functions! Honeymooners too, are made extremely welcome and love the tranquility and romance offered by our picturesque location.
Camping in the Nambian desert is a luxury in it’s own right. There are so many stars in our skies that only when your tent is pitched, your camp chairs are positioned around the fire and you sit back and look up, that you experience the true magic of Namibia.
The most recent addition to our accommodation options at Alte Kalköven Lodge are our campsites and camping facilities to allow you to experience the beautiful night skies at their best and wake up to the spectacular views over the Gurib desert river bed from the comfort of your very own campsite.
Points to note:
- We have three separate campsites located within easy reach of the main lodges facilities
- Each campsite can accommodate up to a maximum of 6 people.
- Our restaurant, the swimming pool and our famous Cole Lithoparium desert plant collection are also available to campers to enjoy
- Each campsite has its own ablution block powered by solar lighting with shower, hand wash-basin, toilet and outside washing troughs for dishes
- There is no electricity at the campsites
- Hot water is available, heated by a donkey boiler
- Breakfast and dinner are available on request however we ask that you please book dinner at least one day before arrival for catering purposes as all our meals are made with the freshest of ingredients.
At dusk, you may wish to head down to our floodlit waterhole where you are likely to spot an oryx, springbuck and various other smaller animals as they refresh themselves from another hot Namibian day.
Due to it’s excellent location in the middle of all the most popular attractions of the South, camping at Alte Kalköfen is perfect for those wishing to use us as their base and make daily excursions to all the best sightseeing attractions of the area.
Address: 1439, Keetmanshoop Namibia
Lodge Telephone: +264 81 170 0004
Lodge Fax: +264 886 33737
Cell Frikkie: +264 81 129 0621 / Cell Hilde: +264 81 129 8928
Hilde and Frikkie Mouton and our wonderful team of enthusiastic staff welcome you to spend some time with us.
Should you have any queries please give us a call any time.