University of Namibia Bachelor of Science (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)
What is Bachelor of Science (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)?
Mechanical engineers design, manufacture and optimise specialist machines and processes. As part of your Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) you will study how to solve important problems. Your degree could lead to work on everything from power plants, to air conditioners, aircraft engines and racecars.
The admission requirements are indeed in line with the programme’s academic demands and the qualifications of the incoming students. Students who do not meet the requirements for direct entry into Year 1 of Engineering are first admitted into the Pre-Engineering Year at the Faculty of Science to prepare them for mathematics, physics, chemistry, statistics, computer skills and English communication. The minimum requirements for Pre-engineering and for Year 1 of Engineering are given below. The minimum entry requirements for admission into the Pre-Engineering Year are as follows:
- At least a “B” symbol in Mathematics and “C” symbol in Physical Science (or at Least a “C” symbol in Mathematics and “B” symbol in Physical Science); plus a at least a “C” symbol in English at NSSC-O level (IGCSE level) or equivalent qualification, or
- A score of “3” in Mathematics and in Physical Science (or 3 in Mathematics and a 4 in Physical Science or vise versa) plus a score of 4 or better in English at NSSC-H level (HIGCSE) or equivalent qualification. If English was not taken at NSSC-H, at least a “C” symbol in English at NSSC-O level will be required
- At least 27 points in five subjects and meeting the above requirements for Mathematics and Physical Science, and a symbol of “D” symbol in English at NSSC-O level (IGCSE level) or equivalent qualification.
- Students doing the UNAM Foundation Programme are eligible for admission into Pre-Engineering Year, provided they meet the minimum entry requirements.
- Admission to the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology through Mature Age Mode is possible only with those who possess valid Grade 12 Certificates.
The minimum entry requirements for admission into the First Year of Engineering are as
- Successful completion of the Pre-Engineering Programme, or
- A score of 2 or better in Mathematics and Physical Science and a score of 4 or better in English at NSSC-H level (HIGSCE level) or equivalent qualifications. If English was not taken at NSSC-H level, at least a “C” symbol in English at NSSC-O level will be required.
- At least 30 points in five subjects and meeting the above requirements for Mathematics and Physical Science, and a symbol of “D” symbol in English at NSSC-O level (IGCSE level) or equivalent qualification.
- Students who have completed the First Year of Science at UNAM with passes in Physics, Chemistry and in all Mathematics and Statistics modules maybe admitted to the First Year of Engineering provided they have at least a “C” symbol in English at NSSC-O level. This criterion will only be applied when there is capacity to admit.
Note: A Science student who has no Re-admission into the Faculty of Science does not qualify for admission into the Faculty of Engineering & Information Technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is mechanical engineering Honours?
Mechanical Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering in Hons. Mechanical Engineering is an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering course. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools.
What does Bachelor of Engineering Honours mean?
The Honours part of the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) means that the program is at AQF Qualification Level 08. Graduates at this level will have advanced knowledge and skills for professional or highly skilled work and/or further learning.
Is Bachelor of Engineering a Honours degree?
The Bachelor of Engineering with Honours is an accredited four year professional degree which provides a broad based engineering education with an emphasis on the practical application of theory to solve real engineering problems.
Is mechanical engineering a bachelor of science?
As one of the most diverse engineering disciplines, mechanical engineering is used in such varied industries as aerospace, automotive and alternative energy. In CBU’s program, students study foundational principles of engineering, computer programming and physics.
Who are mechanical engineers?
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Mechanical engineers design, develop, build, and test. They deal with anything that moves, from components to machines to the human body.
Who is a mechanical engineer definition?
Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, build, and test mechanical and thermal devices, including tools, engines, and machines. Mechanical engineers typically do the following: Analyze problems to see how mechanical and thermal devices might help solve the problem.
Is mechanical engineering good in future?
The future scope of mechanical engineering and its demand in the industry seem quite promising. According to a report in 2016 by the global consultancy firm Deloitte, India is expected to grow manifold in manufacturing by the year 2020.
Do mechanical engineers build cars?
Can a mechanical engineer work in medical field?
A mechanical engineer specialized in medical science can be called as ‘medical engineer’. Engineer’s responsibilities in medicine can include research, development, testing and evaluation of medical devices, advisement on new biomedical purchases for hospitals and medical centers .
Is Mechanical Engineering easy to find job?
Recruiting new employees is never an easy task, but for some reason, mechanical engineering seems to be one of the hardest jobs to recruit for. According to US News, however, mechanical engineering jobs are ranked third among the best engineering jobs available.
What are 5 things mechanical engineers do?
Are mechanical engineers scientists?
Engineers are not a sub-category of scientists. So often the two terms are used interchangeably, but they are separate, albeit related, disciplines. Scientists explore the natural world and show us how and why it is as it is.
Are mechanical engineers in demand?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has projected Mechanical Engineers employment rate will go up by 9% by 2026. Driving this growth are innovations within the automation, medical device, biotechnology and aerospace industries.
What jobs do mechanical engineers get?
- Aerospace Industries.
- Automotive Industries.
- Construction and Building Services.
- Indian Armed Forces and Ministry of Defence.
- Manufacturing Industries.
- Engineering Consultancies.
- Energy Utilities.
- Government Agencies
What is a bachelor’s degree in science?
A bachelor of science degree typically centers on courses that help students understand the technical aspects of a field. A bachelor of science degree, in particular, is a four-year undergraduate degree with common majors such as science or psychology. Students with a B.S.
What is a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering?
Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering – a four year degree that provides a foundation in science, mathematics, design, and applied mechanical engineering sciences with less required core courses in subjects like humanities and communication, and more of a focus on mechanical engineering.