DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst German Academic Exchange Service) Scholarship Applications for NUST Students
„In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Progamme“ Namibia Call for Scholarship Applications 2019 at Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) Funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) Application
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in [Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Progamme“ DAAD offers scholarships for Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, pursue Master’s courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) by offering up to 4 In-Country scholarships and 8 In-Region scholarships for Master studies at Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) for the intake 2020
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST)are available in the following fields:
- Computer Science
Place of Tenure
Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST)
Duration and Commencement
- of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in February 2020
Applicaion and Selection Procedure
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST)using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution.
Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal,register themselves and submit an DAAD application. DAAD
Deadline: 19th June 2019
Documents to be submitted:
– DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
– Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
– Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2) – Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
– Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
– Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Copy of the passport
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal
Closing date for the submission of DAAD scholarship applications at the host institution is 17.05.2019
The scholarship covers:
|the regularly charged amount
|Study and research allowance a
|460 EUR (Master)
|Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
|In-Country: 400,- Euro In-Region: 450,- Euro
|Travel allowance (In-Region only)
|twice (beginning/ end of scholarship)
|The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
The scholarship will either be disbursed by the host institution, the German Embassy or will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 3 up to 6 months.
Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application for the regular scholarship and can only be awarded if the necessary financial means are available.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
- a monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.200 (PhD students) and 850 (Master students) EUR per month
- health/accident/personal liability insurance
- a flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
Closing Date at host institution: 17th May 2019
Contact and advice
Martin Schmitz Programme Officer Section ST32 Africa
Websites: www.daad.de Tel.: +49-228-882-8864