The Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) Internet Devices for Students, November 2020
A needs analysis conducted by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE) earlier this year, concluded that many students in Namibia do not have access to laptops or computers and they cannot afford the cost of data.
Furthermore, at the time, the ICT infrastructure (including servers and storage) at the local higher education institutions could not support the increase in demand for online learning.
In order to mitigate the above, the Ministry of Higher Education, Technology and Innovation appointed an Inter-Agency Committee on the acquisition of devices and software that availed the following through the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF):
- N$2.2 million for the Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST) to upgrade servers and storage, which have now been installed.
- N$5.8 million for the University of Namibia (UNAM) for the same purpose.
- 28 000 portable internet devices were purchased from telecom Namibia at a total cost of N$19.3 million. These devices are available for Namibian students enrolled in local higher education institutions. NUST received its first batch of 2 000 portable devices earlier this week.
- Laptops will be availed in November 2020.
The following process should be followed by NUST students who wish to apply for both Internet devices and laptops:
1. Log onto www.nsfaf.na(link is external)
2. Click on ‘Apply for laptop & Internet device’
3. Complete application
4. Indicate contribution option (deduction from NSFAF non-tuition fee, enter into loan agreement with NSFAF or cash contribution)
5. Once approved, an e-mail notification will be sent to the applicant requesting him/her to collect device or laptop from his / her institution
6. The Institution will issue the device / laptop