International Geographical Union (IGU) Commission on African Studies Inaugural Conference 2018
University of Namibia, Namibia
“What is Africa’s response on global challenges: Understanding drivers of poverty and reducing inequality?”
The International Geographical Union (IGU), recently approved the formation of theIGU Commission on African Studies, whose overarching aim is the promotion of Africanand Africanist scholarship on issues around and in Africa, ranging from social sciences tonatural sciences, but informed in the main by geographical, multi and interdisciplinaryperspectives. This materialises in the form of inter alia, Thematic Conferences run underthe IGU Commission of African Studies. In pursuit of this mandate, the IGU and theUniversity of Namibia (UNAM), therefore, brings you the Launch of the IGU’s Commissionon African Studies and the inaugural Conference in May 2018.
This means that the IGU Commission on African Studies will hold its first ever AnnualConference following a decision of the IGU to create a platform for African and expertson Africa to examine African challenges and attempt to provide African responses.This is pertinent given the recent global developments ranging from climate change,terrorism, migration and mobility, inequality, poverty and hunger as well as politicalupsurges and reconfigurations, which all call for a (re)consideration and/or response,hence the question “What is Africa’s response to global challenges?” comes to thefore. In this respect, the theme of the conference is: What is Africa’s Response to GlobalChallenges: Understanding drivers of poverty and reducing inequality?
UNAM and IGU hope delegates will be enthused to converge on Windhoek to explore and play a part in identifying how Africa can respond to global challenges now and in the future.
Consequently, the following are the objectives of the conference:
- To examine Africa`s response to a myriad of challenges afflicting the continent
- To bridge the gap between research outputs and policy implementation
- To strengthen the partnership and scholarship between African geographers and scholars on Africa
- To explore the impact of geography and its role to planning and achievement of national development plans UNs SDGs
- To increase IGU research and scientific activities and programmes in Africa
In pursuit of these objectives, we therefore invite participants from all fields of geography and cognate disciplines to submit papers that respond and interrogate, but are not limited to the following:
- Sustainable development and investment
- Marginality and migration
- Higher education and mobility
- Climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Technology and innovation diffusion
- Rural and Urban Poverty reduction
- Biotechnology, Agro-processing and food security
- Oceans and economic development
- Economic and political integration of Africa
- Future geographies
Call for Abstracts
Click here to download call for paper announcement.
16 February 2018 Deadline for abstract submission
02 March 2018 Notification of abstract acceptance
06 April 2018 Deadline for submission of full papers
Post graduate students: N$500. 00
Gala dinner: N$1000.00
Important information before you travel to Namibia
1.Travel and Health Insurance is mandatory–please ensure that you carry with your proof from a reliable insurer from your country. The University of Namibia will not be held liable for medical or travel related costs, while in Namibia.
2.Ensure that your passport is valid for not less than 6 months by the date of your entry in Namibia
3. Participants from North, Central and West Africa, and Central and South America, must ensure that they have received vaccination against yellow fever and must have proof thereof if transiting via South Africa.
4. Applicants from countries that are not exempted from Visa requirements, please ensure that you apply for entry Visa/Business Visas via the nearest Namibian embassy or consular offices. Please request for an invitation letter to attend the Conference from the contact email listed on this conference webpage, to help you with this process.
|5. Yellow Fever|
|There is no risk of yellow fever in Namibia. The government of Namibia requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. This does not include the US. If you are traveling from a country other than the US, check this list to see if you may be required to get the yellow fever vaccine: Countries with risk of yellow fever virus (YFV) transmission.
For more information on recommendations and requirements, see yellow fever recommendations and requirements for Namibia. Your doctor can help you decide if this vaccine is right for you based on your travel plans.
For more information on health related matters, visit the link below:
Participants from the countries here in are exempted from Visa applications.
- DAF Truck For Sale In Namibia
- Chevrolet Utility For Sale In Namibia
- Dankie Botswana For Sale In Namibia
- Bull Bars For Sale In Namibia
- Cold Rooms For Sale In Namibia
- Coal Stoves For Sale In Namibia
- Bulldozer For Sale In Namibia
- Dachshund Puppies For Sale In Namibia
- Corolla For Sale In Namibia
- Campers For Sale In Namibia