2018 SASSCAL Science Sympossium
The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) invites and welcomes SASSCAL researchers and stakeholders from science, policy, the public and private sector to the SASSCAL Science Symposium with a theme: ‘Science Diplomacy supporting Climate Change Action in SADC’. The Symposium will take place in Lusaka, Zambia from 16 to 20 April 2018.
AIM OF THE SYMPOSIUM
The overall aim of the Symposium is to provide a platform for sharing research outcomes from the scientific work that was managed by SASSCAL with specific emphasis on its contribution to climate change action in the SADC Region. SASSCAL will also use this opportunity to introduce the SASSCAL 2.0 research agenda to scientists, policy-makers and the public.
- to present major scientific results of research conducted within the SASSCAL thematic research areas: Agriculture, Biodiversity, Climate, Forestry and Water to the diverse stakeholders;
- to introduce the SASSCAL 2.0 Research Agenda to the research community, decision makers and the public;
- to launch and present various SASSCAL products and services, and demonstrate their value in supporting cross-sectoral decision-making in SADC;
- to facilitate Science-Policy dialogues on selected topics; and
- to provide a platform for regional networking among climate change researchers, policy-makers and climate change adaptation practitioners.
- To launch the SASSCAL Book
The Symposium format will comprise of an opening science-policy forum, thematic sessions with Keynote Speakers, oral and poster presentations, plenary and panel discussions and workgroup sessions. In addition, there is limited space for side events and back-to-back meetings.
Call for Abstracts
SASSCAL-supported researchers and partners from Government, NGOs and other institutions are invited to submit abstracts for the thematic sessions of the Symposium. Abstracts (maximum 300 words) should be submitted online and should address one of the following thematic sessions:
- Water-Climate-Food Nexus
- Biodiversity – Climate-Food Security
- Forest Conservation-Climate-Livelihoods
- Agriculture-Climate-Food Security
- Science Policy Interface in SADC
- Data, Technology and Infrastructure
- Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management
- Climate Change impact on livelihoods and health
- Capacity Development in SADC
- Wetland monitoring, assessment and management in SADC
The Online Abstract Submission System is open from the 6th of February 2018. The presenter needs to indicate whether he/she wants to present the work as an oral contribution or a poster.
The participation in the 2018 SASSCAL Science Symposium is free of charge. The Symposium online registration is open from the 12th of February 2018 to the 6th of April 2018.
Participants who need financial support for traveling may be considered for a conference participation grant and should indicate this on the registration form. More information can be found on the webpage.
Side events and back-to-back meetings
The SASSCAL Science Symposium provides room and time slots for a limited number of side events and back-to-back meetings. Please request further information by contacting the Organising Committee. The deadline for enquiries is the 2nd of March 2018.
|1st Announcement and Call for Abstracts||05 February 2018|
|Online Abstract Submission System opens||06 February 2018|
|Online Registration opens||12 February 2018|
|Deadline for requesting side events||02 March 2018|
|Deadline for Abstract submission||02 March 2018|
|Abstract Acceptance Notification||16 March 2018|
|Preliminary Programme||26 March 2018|
|Close of On-line Registration||06 April 2018|
|Final Program published on website||10 April 2018|
|Exhibition Build-up, Workshops, On-site Registration opens||16 April 2018|
|Convene 2018 SASSCAL Science Symposium||16 to 20 April 2018|
COMMITTEES AND CONTACTS
Dr Jane Olwoch (Executive Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead of the Scientific Committee
Dr Jörg Helmschrot
(Director of Science and Technology / Capacity Development) email@example.com
Lead of the Local Organising Committee
Ms Chipo Chirefu-Toto (Director of Finance and Administration) firstname.lastname@example.org